The Elder Scrolls: Fate of Tamriel
- Overcome: Investigate obstacles are all about information that’s hard to uncover for some reason. Analyzing a crime scene for clues, searching a cluttered room for the item you need, even pouring over a musty old tome to try and find the passage that makes everything make sense.
Racing against the clock to collect evidence before the cops show up or disaster occurs is a classic way to use Investigate in a challenge.
- Create an Advantage: Investigate is probably one of the most versatile skills that you can use to create an advantage, because as long as you’re willing to take the time, you can find out just about anything about anyone, or discover nearly any detail about a place or object. Likewise, it provides you a lot of power to make up aspects about nearly anything in the game world that your character could reasonably unearth.
Because that sounds broad, consider the following as just a few of the possibilities: eavesdropping on a conversation, looking for clues at a crime scene, examining records, verifying the truth of a piece of information, conducting surveillance, and researching a cover story.
- Attack: Investigate isn’t used to make attacks.
- Defend: Investigate isn’t used to defend.
- Attention to Detail – You can use Investigate instead of Empathy in order to defend against attempts to use Deceive against you. What others discover through gut reactions and intuition, you learn through careful observation of microexpressions.
- Eavesdropper – On a successful Investigate roll to create an advantage by eavesdropping on a conversation, you can discover or create one additional aspect (though this doesn’t give you an extra free invocation).
- The Power of Deduction – Once per scene you can spend a fate point (and a few minutes of observation) to make a special Investigate roll representing your potent deductive faculties. You may discover or create an aspect for each shift you make on this roll, on either the scene or the target of your observations, though you may only invoke one of them for free.