The Elder Scrolls: Fate of Tamriel
- Overcome: You can use Will to pit yourself against obstacles that require mental effort. Puzzles and riddles can fall under this category, as well as any mentally absorbing task, like deciphering a code. Use Will when it’s only a matter of time before you overcome the mental challenge, and Lore if it takes something more than brute mental force to get past it. Many of the obstacles that you go up against with Will might be complex, to reflect the effort involved.
Contests of Will might reflect particularly challenging games, like chess, or competing in a hard set of exams. In settings where magic or psychic abilities are common, contests of Will are popular occurrences.
- Create an Advantage: You can use Will to place aspects on yourself, representing a state of deep concentration or focus.
- Attack: Will isn’t really used for attacks, although in settings where you allow psychic abilities, full-on psychic conflict might be something you can do with this skill. That’s the sort of thing that would be added to this skill by taking a stunt.
- Defend: Will is the main skill you use to defend against mental attacks from Provoke, representing you holding onto your convictions at all cost.
Special: The Will skill gives you additional mental stress boxes or consequence slots. Average or Fair gives you a 3-point stress box. Good or Great gives you a 3-point and a 4-point stress box. Superb and above give you an additional mild consequence slot along with the additional stress boxes.
- Hard Boiled – You can choose to ignore a mild or moderate consequence for the duration of the scene. It can’t be compelled against you and can’t be invoked by your enemies. At the end of the scene it comes back worse, though; if it’s a mild consequence it becomes a moderate consequence. If it was already moderate, it becomes severe.
- Indomitable – +2 to Will rolls made to defend against Provoke attacks specifically related to intimidation and fear.
- Strength from Determination – Use Will instead of Physique on any overcome rolls representing feats of strength or endurance.